It’s the time of year when the weather is finally starting to warm up and homeowners are getting ready to start enjoying their yards again. This also means it’s time for a yearly check-up of your home, and one of the most important things to do is inspect your roof. A professional roofing company can help you with this, but there are a few things you should do before you make that call.
- Look for obvious signs of damage– This includes missing or damaged shingles, leaks, or any other visible damage. If you can’t see any damage from the ground, try getting a ladder and taking a closer look. This is also a good time to check for any loose nails or other potential hazards.
- Check your gutters– The gutters are one of the most important parts of your roof, and they need to be clear in order to function properly. If you see any debris, leaves, or other blockages, be sure to remove them. This will help prevent water damage to your roof and siding.
- Inspect your attic– The attic is another important area to check for any signs of leaks or damage. If you see any daylight coming through the roof, that’s a sign that you have a problem. You should also look for any water stains on the ceiling or walls. These could be indicative of a larger issue.
- Take note of any leaks– If you have any leaks in your home, be sure to mark them so you can show the roofing company where they are. This will help them determine the best course of action for repair. Leaks can cause serious damage to your home if left unaddressed, so it’s important to take care of them as soon as possible.
- Check for any ice dams- In the winter, ice can build up on your roof and cause damage. This is especially true if you have a metal roof. The ice dams can cause the metal to expand and contract, which can lead to leaks. If you see any ice dams, be sure to remove them before they cause damage.
- Make sure your chimney is in good condition– The chimney is another area that needs to be inspected regularly. It can be easy to forget about this part of your roof, but it’s important to make sure it’s in good condition. The chimney cap should be securely in place, and there should be no cracks or damage.
- Check your insurance policy– Before you call a roofing company, be sure to check your insurance policy. Some policies will cover the cost of repairs, while others may only cover replacement. Knowing what is covered will help you determine the best course of action for your roof.
- Make a list of questions– Before you call a roofing company, be sure to write down a list of questions. This will help you get the most out of your consultation. Some things you may want to ask about include: the cost of repairs, the estimated time frame for completion, and what type of warranty is available.
By following these tips, you can be sure that you’re ready for your roofing consultation. Hiring a company that does professional roofing services in Salt Lake City Utah or elsewhere will be able to help you assess the condition of your roof and make any necessary repairs. Don’t put off this important task – schedule a consultation today.
Michelle Wilde is a stay-at-home mom and avid plant lover. Armed with a post-graduate degree in Computer Science (no kidding!), she loves researching plants and landscapes. When she is not caring for her 4 kids, she spends time on her passion for plants.