Thursday, October 22

Is A Short Circuit Dangerous?

Image result for Is A Short Circuit Dangerous?

You may have heard the term “short circuit” being used whenever your circuit break trips and a resultant black out occurs. However, this is not quite the correct usage of the term and using it in this scenario actually down plays its danger.

Short circuits are a highly dangerous event that can occur in any household or office. You should be aware of what a short circuit is, how it occurs, its dangers and what to do. 

What is a Short Circuit

A short circuit is technically a low resistance connection between any two conductors that are carrying electrical energy in your circuit. When they come into contact, they generate an excess of voltage and thus cause an excess flow of current from within the circuit. Since electricity will take the path of least resistance, current will load up on the “shorter” path and thus overload it.

 

In most homes and offices, short circuits occur when wires become overheated to the point that their insulation melts, thus exposing their metal components. If these metal components come into contact with each other, the short circuit is created.

The Types of Short Circuits

Normal Short Circuits

A normal short circuit is characterized by a hot wire touching a neutral wire. When this occurs, the resistance of the circuit is reduced, allowing a large volume of electrical current to flow through the pathway.

Ground Fault Short Circuit

Unlike normal short circuits, in a ground fault short circuit, the hot wire comes into contact with a grounded portion of the system. This would include grounded metal wall boxes, bare ground wire or a grounded portion of an electrical appliance.

The Dangers of a Short Circuit

The danger of a short circuit lies in the sudden surge of electrical current that is in excess of what your circuit can take. Subsequently, smoke and sparks will emerge, possibly leading to an electrical fire that endangers the lives of everyone in the space. It is also possible that the excess current causes connected electrical appliances to explode.

Preventing A Short Circuit

To prevent short circuits we recommend that you be aware of the ratings of all electrical appliances in your home. This will allow you to avoid turning on a combination of these devices that cumulatively exceed the limits of your home’s circuits. Additionally, you should be extra cautious of using multi-plugs as they can quickly amplify the amount of current circulating.

 

If you hear any buzzing sounds or see any sparks and burn marks from an outlet, then you should immediately shut off electricity to it. Additionally, you should conduct an inspection of your home’s wiring to check if any have been worn down.

 

Lastly, you should contact emergency electrician singapore services to get a full inspection done. Only then can you rest assure that your home’s electrical circuits are in working condition.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *