Mold can take root and start growing in less than 24 hours under the right conditions.
Mold is a type of fungi that thrives in moist, dark, and warm places. Mold is dangerous and causes a variety of health issues. This is why if you suspect that you have mold growing in your home you should try to deal with it immediately.
Take a look at the ways you can identify the different types of mold, the causes of mold, and what you should do about it.
What Is Mold?
Mold is a fungus that grows in damp, cool places. Dark spores from these fungi float through the air and can be inhaled, causing allergic reactions or worse.
When inhaled by humans mold can cause allergic reactions such as asthma, hay fever, skin irritation, and even serious infections to people with weaker immune systems.
Mold may grow indoors on porous materials such as wood, paper, drywall, or carpeting with high moisture content.
The Different Types of Mold Explained
As mentioned before there are four main types of mold that can be present in your home. Knowing more about them can help you spot and eliminate them.
This type of mold may produce toxic substances called mycotoxins which if ingested could lead to liver damage and other health problems such as neurological diseases or cancer.
This type usually produces more than one toxin including one called Aflatoxin which has been linked to liver cancer. Cladosporium is also found in outdoor air and can be problematic for people with allergies or asthma.
It’s often found in moldy bread which could cause an allergic reaction. It may also be found in buildings where it can damage the roof or other aspects of the building.
This mold produces hay fever symptoms. In its early stages, it is a greenish-black color and when it matures can turn into a yellow or brown shade. It’s usually found on the surface of food when moisture has been present for an extended period of time.
Getting Rid of Mold In the Home
To avoid mold growth in the home, be sure to have a well-ventilated house by opening windows and using fans.
Change your clothes if you think they’re damp or wet before going back inside your home. Although some people may not be affected by the fungi outside their homes, many people are sensitive to them when they’re indoors or near a large number of spores and debris from fungus.
If you see an area of mold in your house, clean it up right away. If you find a large amount of mold damage then call in a professional for mold removal.
Get Mold Free
Now that you know the different types of mold and the danger they can cause, the best thing to do is to try to get rid of them as quickly as possible. Always ensure that you keep areas in your home that are prone to dampness as dry as you can.
The more hostile the environment in your home is to mold the more likely it is that you will not have an infestation. If you would like more tips, please visit the home improvement section of the website.